Thursday, February 10, 2011

Electric Tomato Plant

I planted a plant a month or two ago. I knew the soil wasn't the greatest--sandy, loose, quick to drain--but I looked at the plot and said, "This is just what Here needs."

It was hard to get growing. The first week was painful.

It started to grow. Two friends of mine offered stakes to support it. With some twine and encouragement it started to rise to the challenge.

I'm still not sure what kind of plant it is. Were it woody, it would grow strong and tall with kind guidance. Were it weedy, it would use the stakes and twine as a scaffold to reach air and sunlight but never stand on its own.

Today is a day of decisions. My friends have asked for their stakes back.

I remember the first week--I never thought this little slip could even take root where I'm growing it. Now its nodding its feeble head towards the sun, and I have to decide what to do to help it grow.

What kind of plant do I want?

2 comments: