Saturday, March 9, 2013

Why do Feminist Rants (usually) Bug Me?

(Savannah and Brett, I look forward to your feedback. Feminist Frequency, please read all of it and consider it carefully before dissecting me before the world.)

Let's be honest:

I'm not sure.

This post is both a fairly early attempt to understand my position AND a reaction to recent inputs from the vast ocean of YouTube.

Feminism is an interesting, complex idea. What I understand of it seeks to address deep-rooted and rather disturbing trends in society, and I'd like to think I agree with a large subset of feminist goals. Here I must plead ignorance (and risk accidentally addressing a Straw Feminist).

The video essay I just overheard (#3 The Smurfette Principle (Tropes vs. Women) by Feminist Frequency) was interestingly shallow. It was, as I experienced it, simply a long list bemoaning the fact that there are dozens of instances of Smurfette Principle trope. (I use 'principle' and 'trope' in deliberate redundancy.) The next (#4 The Evil Demon Seductress (Tropes vs. Women)) is similarly a list of complaints against films in which female sexuality is portrayed...far less than correctly.

I believe her complaints are legitimate, if poorly delivered. The Bechdel Test is a cool acid test for complex plots to strive to pass, and it is sad that we need to name the test because it is not already passed by most plots. In the same way, I believe that my view of women growing up would have been positively affected by #3 and #4 being less prevalent while I was growing up.

That which bothers me may be the fact that both of these essays end with a negative: "Sure females can be ___ in well-written plots, but 'you' should stop writing them as ___." It's "stop it, stop it, stoppit, stoppit!!!1! But FYI you can do certain stuff sometimes" rather than a wider and more careful understanding of the problem. Transformers 2 is used in both essays and disturbed me with its portrayal of its one significant female character, yet it grossed $200 million in its first five days. The problem is not just in script writing, and treating those responsible with active contempt is not likely to change much. It certainly won't endear you to me, even if I agree with you.

So, in a vain attempt to not suffer from the same problem:

If:
* you are going to write a feminist rant,
* you want to include a long list of data points, and
* you don't want me mad at _you_ afterwards,
then please:
* avoid ad hominem and straw man attacks, (yes, it's a negative...)
* present a clear argument, and
* state where you notice your own biases.

2 comments:

  1. Another point: I think that the popularity among adults of kids' shows like My Little Pony and Phineas and Ferb could be a reaction to the various negative portayals of females. (The idea needs refinement. Probably a lot of refinement.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - sorry it took me so long to read this. It seems, however, that your post is not so much a rant on feminism as it is a rant on clear and responsible journalism.

    Just sayin'. :)

    I'd love to see what you have to say about feminism itself, though.

    ReplyDelete