Monday, December 5, 2011

Cranky

You ever look down at your gas gauge and realize that you have drastically less fuel than you thought you did?

I feel like that today.


My Civ I class is wonderful. We've covered topics across the map (as far as European history goes) with awesome details from my two professors' specialized perspectives. The Honors program really has something there. Any of the activities and most of the ideas talked about and assigned were absolutely wonderful and I would have loved to spend tons of times wandering around fulfilling them. I picked up and read a good chunk of a history book this last summer. For fun. When I get a bee in my bonnet in the form of a cool idea, I naturally produce annotated bibliographies apparently. This sort of stuff is cool...when it's not juxtaposed with normal school.

My Civ I class is terrible. Last minute assignments, ill-conceived group projects, Western-only history in spite of the class' blogs, and now a 3-page paper based of some sort of an annotated bibliography. (FYI, we had maybe ten minutes total to do all those things the group is supposed to do. The support group sounds great on screen.)

What really happened? They gave us a weekend to do the bibliography, then gave us a weekend to do the paper. Seriously though? No warning? Not even "Please think about a thesis on this topic as you're scrambling together a few sources with a feigned veneer of depth of understanding and interest"? (To be fair, my spidey senses did go off and indicate there would likely be a paper involved, and my time management skills are Mike Indigo Able.)

Still don't have the slightest what the final will be. This paper, we are sternly warned, is due no later than the end of Thursday evening (complete with first draft and peer review), so they probably have some Grendelian task planned for finals week.

...and I have the futzbah to have signed up for Part II. (At least Part II has been taught before, and might even be well-ballasted by Dr. Zappala (?)...)

Me: Phenomenal Cosmic Powers! (Eeety Beeety time management skills.)

Thanks for listening. The nicer half of what I have to say will land on my Civ I class blog.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Lots of hugs and hope for a better tomorrow... or at least a good paper that gets you a bazillion points.

    ReplyDelete