Friday, December 2, 2011

Just Go.

 "Why, I'm going to do as much as I can until I get kicked out of BYU," she huffed. I looked into her gaze, which she was casting condescendingly down her nose.

"Is that so? Why don't you just leave?" I demanded.


"I don't want to and you can't make me," she gloated, knowing full well it was true. The Honor Code office, the apartment manager, even the other roommates wouldn't believe what a living hell she had made of my life. It was time--

One lithe motion brought me to my feet, my hand on her face, with two fingers just behind the ear, two on the temple, and one by the nose. As the mental link crystallized she stood stock still and I steeled myself for what I was about to do.


You are leaving.

Shaping the orders was extraordinarily hard...


You can't remember why, but you know it was terrible. You have to go. 

Memories of the recent months started bubbling up, threatening to overrun the thought stream...


Find somewhere and have a good life, and never come back.

My grandmother had taught me to channel, but I never had, not since then. It was too frightening. I was afraid of what they would do to me if they found out what I could do. I was afraid what I would find in others' minds, knowing my own too well. I was afraid of what I might do. So, in desperation, I did it--and passed out.



Next thing I remember, I was crumpled on the living room floor where I had been standing the night before. Slowly sitting up, I looked around. 4AM. The front door was partway open, and there were frantic noises in the back room. My head started to reel, and I blacked out again.



I roused again around 9 with my roommates shaking me. "Where'd she go?" they asked. Rubbing my throbbing temples, I replied, "Left. Gone. I told her to go."

Their questions soon faded into the grey fog that was that day. That night, when I fell asleep, the nightmares were terrible; but when I woke up, there was sunlight on my face and sunshine in the clear, blue sky.

1 comment: